Thursday, March 08, 2007

Norooz facts and links

Norooz starts on March 21st at 00:07 Greenwich Mean Time. This means it will be at 3:27 in Tehran and the rest of Iran and 19:07 in New York City and 16:07 in Los Angeles.

Unlike the January 1st New Year, The Iranian/Persian/Zoroastrian New Year begins at the same moment all over the world, which means those who are up at 3:27 in the morning in Tehran will be celebrating with people having afternoon tea in Los Angeles.

For those of you Down Under… would you rather celebrate Norooz on our autumnal equinox, which, I guess, would be your vernal equinox? Tell me.

Here in Iran, the shopping and decorating has begun. Goldfish and mirrors are out everywhere. I haven’t seen grass yet… For those of you who have never celebrated Norooz, grass, mirrors, apples, coins, candles, goldfish, decorated eggs, money, and new clothes are all part of the festivities. I have included some links below the post that can help you find your way around Norooz. As always, watch Norooz 2007 for links and pictures as they come in.


About the Equinox:
Equinoxes & Solstices

About Norooz:
About Norooz

The New Year of the Iranian Peoples

Flickr photos tagged norooz

Wikipedia (of course)

Norooz countdown

A Norooz story


Another one


About the Iranian Calendar:

Wikipedia (again)

2 comments:

Plateau said...

Hi, you've an interesting blog. I'll check it regularly.

Anonymous said...

Hi ... I just chanced upon your blog today, and its great stuff. An American in Tehran; very rare. I know you probably get "coffee offers" from English-speaking Tehrani strangers all the time, but I hope you will consider mine, as I share your missing of the States, and an American voice across the table would be the closest thing to sitting @ starbucks : ) ... er, I dont know if this is proper "netiquette" but I would be happy to hear from you via email: ihtehran@gmail.com
(will keep my name unwritten here as its a public access page)

Best wishes for the solar new year! -TM

p.s. I just started a blog last week, it doesnt have much yet, but u can add comments if u like:
axisilluminati@blogspot.com

ShareThis