Wednesday, March 29, 2006

American is weird too

So I am on vacation.

America is funny. First meal: a corned beef sandwich on rye with pickles, a potato pancake, and kishke. Yum.

Watched the Daily Show and laughed a lot. The regular news is a pastiche of stories about missing children, child molestors, and murderers. The news channels seem to be yearning for another terrorist attack on American soil. CNN is anchored by a bunch of sentimental airheads (or are they just faking it?). Watching Fox is like being at a party where everyone is on drugs except you. No fun unless you drink the cool-aid.

I am trying to avoid news about Iran. It’s depressing. I am too confused about everything. My cousin said to me, “I used to wonder how you could live in Iran and then I thought, ‘I live in Missouri for god’s sake. I don’t agree with any of our policies. I hate Bush. What’s the difference?’”

There is a difference. I told him. “I know,” he said.

We were at a Bat Mitzvah party. There was an open bar. Teen age boys and girls were dancing together. We were not worried about the police raiding the party. We were drinking moderate amounts of alcohol. No one got drunk. Couples were openly showing affection. (Affection, not lust.) It was relaxing, fun, low-key. I almost cried. Maybe I did cry.

Everyone said they wanted to hear about Iran. We did not really have time to discuss it. It was enough to be together.

Had lunch with my dad’s old farts club. It was me and a bunch of old men. One came over from Turkey, another survived pogroms in Poland, all had lived through WW 2 either here or in Europe. Turns out my 83-year old cousin is a veteran of the Battle of the Bulge. Why didn’t I know? How much don’t I know?

Miss hearing Persian. Miss the activitity. Don’t miss the chaos. Don’t miss pollution. Do not miss the traffic. It’s so cold that I am practically wearing hijab everywhere I go...

5 comments:

Kamran and Tori said...

Gene: This is the message I am getting from the Land of the Free:
-----
Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /archives/2006/02/16/for_workers_rights_in_iran.php on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/1.3.34 Server at hurryupharry.bloghouse.net Port 80
-----------------------------------

What's up?

Denver, Questions are always welcome. Trouble making is not always unwelcome.

Anonymous said...

Post more about what you have been telling your family members about Iran, and what they think of you and your husband's life in Iran.

Anonymous said...

Yah, US news channels with a few exceptions, are why I got broadband and started looking for bloggers from Mideast. Jon Stewart is awesome. Would LOVE to see you guest there. Let us know if you do... I cruise several channels, Dobbs, NPR News Hour, tape Fareed Zakaria sometimes if hubby's wishes don't get priority.

Did you see the interview on CNN International news with the Iranian UN ambassador? Seemed pretty level headed and unflappable to me. Amazing how some politicians from all countries know how to spin, but this gentleman was calm and straight talking. Dunno how true it was....denying the statement about wiping Israel off the map....but am beginning to wonder if there isn't some truth to the study that said Israel has better PR media and we (US)are getting that instead of more truthful news here.

be safe, peace, Janica

Kamran and Tori said...

Iranians are the kings of spin. Calm debate is a virture in Iran. (Honesty is not: sorry Iranians, but you know it's true) Showing your anger is rare even when associated with road rage. The regime is filled with calm, well-educated, well-spoken idealogues. They can be really convincing.

Anonymous said...

et, just cannot believe that *any* country can match the spin we've been fed. And that is being polite about it. Unfortunately, like the horrors visited upon Iraq, the verbage surrounding Iran's "position" regarding nuclear programs is alarming here.

j

ShareThis