Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Rosa Parks

Yes. Rosa Parks. I always admire her for the woman behind the myth: the one who was active in the NAACP and the Women’s Political Council; the one who was one of many women looking for an opportunity to get arrested for not giving up her seat. I admire her for not just being tired, but for being organized.


Recalling the incident for "Eyes on the Prize," a 1987 public television series on the civil rights movement, Mrs. Parks said: "When he saw me still sitting, he asked if I was going to stand up and I said, 'No, I'm not.' And he said, 'Well, if you don't stand up, I'm going to have to call the police and have you arrested.' I said, 'You may do that.' "
Her arrest was the answer to prayers for the Women's Political Council, which was set up in 1946 in response to the mistreatment of black bus riders, and for E. D. Nixon, a leading advocate of equality for blacks in Montgomery.
Blacks had been arrested, and even killed, for disobeying bus drivers. They had begun to build a case around a 15-year-old girl's arrest for refusing to give up her seat, and Mrs. Parks had been among those raising money for the girl's defense. But when they learned that the girl was pregnant, they decided that she was an unsuitable symbol for their cause.
Mrs. Parks, on the other hand, was regarded as "one of the finest citizens of Montgomery - not one of the finest Negro citizens - but one of the finest citizens of Montgomery," Dr. King said.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, she's one of the greatest American women of all times.

Anonymous said...

If you want to raise yours voice against the oppressive politics of Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, you can use an imminent blogroll: you have to write a comment here with the link of your blog. I can assure you a lot of italian bloggers will publish this instrument of freedom. I'm waiting for you!

Anonymous said...

Hi,
just in case no one told you: you're cited in an article on Iranian blogs in the German magazine Telepolis.

Winston said...

Liked your blog... link to me

Kamran and Tori said...

Please leave me links to your blogs or other sites...

thanks

t

ShareThis