Miniver Cheevy: The speech it's not too late for Obama to make: "It is far better for a people to claim democracy for themselves than to try to build it in the wake of another nation's intervention. We should know that, having created our own nation in rebellion against the greatest colonial power of its time.
Better for a people to claim democracy for themselves, and best for them to do so without raising a gun at all. There are those who will say that to stand up against an oppressor without shedding their blood is too idealistic. Despots' grip on power is too great, they say. Only military force can break their grip."
Friday, February 11, 2011
Posted by Tori at 12:55 PM
I loved this ungiven speech posted over at Miniver Cheevy. Hope you will too. Here's an excerpt:
Tuesday, February 01, 2011
Posted by Tori at 12:55 AM
Anybody still reading? Kamran has a post at EA Worldview about the failure of quiet diplomacy, which resulted in the execution of Zahra Bahrami.
Here are his recommendations:
Here are some minimum recommendations for the Dutch government.
1. The Netherlands should lead an international effort to challenge Iran's refusal to accept dual nationality.
2. The Dutch government should lead efforts to bring the issue of human rights in Iran to the European Parliament.
3. The Netherlands should crack down on the operations of Iranian intelligence officers located here because the Dutch-Iranian community feels unsafe. Over the past two years, intelligence personnel attached to the Iranian Embassy in the Netherlands have been seen publicly photographing Dutch-Iranian citizens attending demonstrations and are known to be collecting information.
4. The Netherlands should stop issuing visas for any purpose to personnel of the Revolutionary Guards, the judiciary, and related organisations.
5. The Netherlands should approve the asylum applications of political refugees who left Iran since 2009. Many of their applications have been denied.
6. Respect for human rights needs to become a business concern as wellas a political concern.
7. The Dutch Government should lead an effort to call for the immediate release of all prisoners of conscience in Iran.
8. The Dutch Government should protest the use of (forced) confessions against prisoners of conscience and others.
Read the whole post at EA Worldview.